Many software packages that are standard on the Raspberry Pi OS must be manually installed on Ubuntu 20.10 or 20.04.1 LTS Server. This guide lists various useful utilities.
Table of Contents
- Navigate to raspi-config on archive.raspberrypi.org. Pick the latest .deb version. At time of writing the latest file is raspi-config_20201108_all.deb.
- Download that file to /tmp
wget https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/r/raspi-config/raspi-config_20201108_all.deb -P /tmp
sudo dpkg -i /tmp/raspi-config_20201108_all.deb
Install userland vcgencmd tools
- install vcgencmd
sudo apt install libraspberrypi-bin
- add user to video group. If you don’t do this you will get “VCHI initialization failed” error. Replace username below with the current user.
sudo usermod -aG video <username>
Clean the APT Cache to free up space on SD card.
Find out how large the apt cache is
du -sh /var/cache/apt/archives
Clean apt cache
sudo apt-get clean
Configure WiFi with headless operation
- While the SDcard is connected to your PC open the
network.configfile on the system-boot partion.
- Edit the file to add your Wi-Fi credentials. Remove the # to uncomment the configuration.
wifis: wlan0: dhcp4: true optional: true access-points: <wifi network name>: password: "<wifi password>"
Read CPU temperature
Divide the result by 1000 to find the value in degrees Celsius.
Read GPU temperature
Call the vcgencmd utility